Sunday, January 9, 2011

Baby School

Miller started daycare last week. I, like some other moms I know, prefer to call it "baby school." It sounds a lot less guilty, don't you think? This way, I can pretend that daycare is a place where Miller must go in order to learn very important baby stuff rather than a place she goes just because she obviously has to go somewhere while I am at work.

Miller has done okay. The first few days, they said she required "a lot of comforting." I took that to mean she screamed all day. By Friday, they said she had a great day. They also said that they have only ever had one baby that took longer than a week to adjust. I am sure the nice lady did not mean to terrify me by saying that, but she did. All I could think about every day after that was, "What if Miller is the second baby to take more than a week to adjust?" I didn't want my kid to be the one she was talking about to the next new mom, like, "Well, all but two babies have taken only a week to adjust. The two that took longer were this Korean kid who didn't understand the language or his new American name and this really high maintenance kid named Miller." Anyway, thank God Mills had a good day on Friday, so it's still just the Korean kid. Phew!

It is a good thing there is not a list of moms who took longer than a week to adjust, because I would be on it. I just don't like the idea of daycare. I don't like that Miller has to hang out with a bunch of dirty babies all day. I pretty much feel like everyone else's babies are dirty. Mine, of course, is not. I don't like that the baby school teachers are pretty much going to do whatever they want with her all day and tell me what I want to hear. How do I know that? Well, because I am a teacher too! Just kidding, but I am sure that there are times when they will do something different than what I ask, and I don't like that. I don't like that the teachers at Extremely Religious University Baby School don't exactly get me and look at me like I am crazy whenever I talk and probably go home and pray for me, referring to me as "that un-modest mom who wears pants."

But....I do like that Miller going to baby school allows me to go to work, which allows us to have food, shelter, the new couches we are about to get (yay!), the occasional expensive handbag etc. So, there you have it. Baby school it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment