Monday, September 27, 2010

Dairy Free?



Macaroni and cheese is my favorite food. Just plain cheese comes in second, followed by grilled cheese, and then maybe cheeseburgers. I also enjoy milkshakes and ice cream quite a bit. I also really like corn dogs, but that is beside the point. The point is, I love me some cheese. So, it clearly makes me the best mom in the history of momness that I am willing to give up dairy for 2 weeks for Miller. Yep, I said it.

The thing is, she seems to have a bit of the colic c-word that I refuse to say, because I don't accept it. I don't accept mystery conditions that doctors have never been able to find causes for and don't understand and don't have medicines for and can't fix. I put the c word in a category with fybromyalgia and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I apologize if you have either of those. I am not saying you don't have something wrong with you that hurts, I am just saying I don't accept doctors giving diagnoses that basically mean, "I don't know what's wrong with you and I can't give you medicine or even try to fix it."

Anyway, I digress. I just can't say, "Oh well, she has the c-word and we'll just listen to her scream all the time and eat dinner in shifts for the next 2-4 months." I think that is stupid. So, I am trying everything in the world to make it stop. According to some people on the internets who probably are not doctors and probably have no idea what they are talking about, 5-15% of babies have a milk protein sensitivity that can worsen c-word symptoms. So, I have been earing stuff like this:


I went to Whole Foods and got rice milk, rice cheese, some type of non-dairy hippie butter, and actual rice ice cream. I also happened to be wearing a yoga-themed t-shirt that day too. I felt like a huge poser at the checkout. I really wanted to confess to the check out lady that actually eat trash on the regular and sometimes I even put a piece of junk mail in the trash instead of the recycling bin and this was just an experiment. But I didn't.

Anyway, Miller has actually gotten somewhat better in the last week, but not amazingly better and I really don't think it is cheese making her cry. She has also changed a lot in other ways and had lots more happy wake-time throughout the day. I think she is just growing up (tear.) I just don't see how I could have kid with an aversion to cheese!

So, despite the fact that the Mint Carob Chip Rice Dream "ice cream" is actually quite delicious, I plan to continue eating Alicia Silverstone non-leg-shaving-type food for the rest of this week, and this weekend, I will have a cheese-fest. If she screams bloody murder immediately following, we will blame the cheese. I realize this is an imperfect experiment, but what else am I gonna do? I'll let you know how it goes.

PS- I am sure a lot of you have opinions on this subject. Unless you are a doctor, and I mean an actual MD not someone with a PhD in philosophy or something, I don't really want your opinion. I have heard waaaaaay to many opinions regarding what I am eating and the c-word and all they do is make me feel guilty for eating at all. At one point, I had decided to live on bread and water, but then I read that Miller's crying could be a response to a wheat or gluten allergy. I can't live on just water. Sorry.

PPS- The image of mac and cheese is actually from macaroni-and-cheese.net. There seems to be a whole web site about mac n' cheese-how exciting is that?

3 comments:

  1. You make me laugh until I cry. Seriously. I hope that the crying gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just not catching up on Miller Time! Is the dairy-free business working? I hope so! The same thing happened to several of our friends too, so you're not alone. And I'm totally with you on the mystery conditions business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. make that "just now"

    ReplyDelete