Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Miller's Birth Story-Part 1


I told ya'll I was going to have this baby early! And, of course, she would have to come right smack in the middle of Meet the Teacher Night! Needless to say, my class did not meet their teacher, because my water broke the night before around 1:30 AM. I wasn't sure if it was for real, so I went back to sleep until about 4. At that point, I was pretty sure it was for real, but I had an irrational fear of going to the hospital only to be sent home. I was determined not to do that during my whole pregnancy, so I called the nurse's hotline. Strangely enough, the nurse that answered sounded like a little old man. It was quite uncomfortable answering the questions he was asking while picturing a little grandpa on the other end of the phone, but I got over it, because in the middle of talking to him I was finally SURE that my water had broken...I will spare you the details.

Ok, on TV people's contractions start out mild and pretty far apart. This was not the case. By the time we got to hospital, I was already in tons of pain with contractions coming like every 2 minutes or so. I was acting like an idiot and I will be embarrassed for the rest of my life. I was planning on being very dignified and breathing through the contractions like a pro, but instead I was yelling "OWW,OWWWWW,OWWWWW!" and following it with "Sorry, I am so sorry!" to all the nurses. I may have punched my husband at one point and there is a rumor going around that I pinched him. I won't deny the fingernail marks I left on is hand, because he has photographic evidence of those. Oops.

By the time the epidural guy got there, I had no idea where I was. He managed to get the epidural in without me freaking out at all. Since I was so wasted, I totally believed him when he said that the pressure I felt from the epidural going in was a contraction. Pretty much everyone in the room was lying to me on that one. I greatly appreciate that. I have been terrified of getting an epidural pretty much ever since I entered my child-bearing years, and I never thought I would be able to get an epudiral without completely freaking out. Thank you, Nurse Tammy for getting me good and drunk!

Come back soon for Part 2. It is hard to type while feeding a barracuda!

No comments:

Post a Comment