Thursday, December 16, 2010

4 Months Old!




I can't believe that Boo Boo is 4 months old already. Actually, she is 18 weeks today. She had her 4 month appointment on Tuesday, which didn't go exactly as planned. The doctors decided that since it had been a few weeks since they had scared the crap out of us that it was time to do it again. Apparently, Miller has lost a little weight since her last appointment. Now, if you have seen her, you know that this shouldn't be a problem. She is certainly not wasting away. But since she spits up fountains (and sometimes colors), they thought she might have pyloric stenosis. She also decided that Miller seemed dehydrated, because her mouth looked dry. I am pretty sure her mouth was dry because it was 1007 degrees in there, but nonetheless, the doctor got all freaked out and sent us to the stupid hospital for lab work and an ultrasound.

Now, we all know what happened last time that stupid hospital did lab work on my poor baby, but fortunately the lab tech that did it this time must have been a little smarter than the first one, since it came out fine. The ultrasound was normal too, but you should have seen the temper tantrum Miller threw while they were trying to do it! Mommy was so proud. I have no idea where she gets that temper from...

Anyway, since everything was normal the doctor decided that she was just stupid and Miller needed to eat some rice cereal. Well, duh. We were planning on starting that anyway, so she got her first taste last night.


She acted like she has been eating it her whole life. I knew she would like food. She is just like her mommy. I was pretty sure she was ready since she took a string cheese out of my hand and tried to eat it a few days ago.

I can't wait to feed her some real food. I want to make it myself, mostly because the Duggars do and I like to be as Duggar-like as possible. "Buy used and save the difference," is what I always say. This is the part where Fred would tell me that I should explain who the Duggars are;however, I feel that if you don't know that 1. I am kidding and 2. the Duggars are the 19 Kids and Counting Family, then you just might not be my intended audience.

I actually want to make it because I am cheap, and also because I don't really understand baby food. I would rather mash up my own bananas that came from an actual banana tree than feed her banana mush that may or may not have come from an actual banana. There I go getting all hippie-ish again. Oh, well. Can anyone (Sara) recommended a good source for how to make your own baby food and when to start what etc?

Ok, well, I am off to enjoy the rest of my "snow" day. I love that our district recognizes a cold, rainy day as a reason to stay home. I kind of agree.

3 comments:

  1. Poor Miller! I'm glad everything's ok and your docs were just being paranoid (again!). I guess that's better than the alternative?

    I'm a wannabe hippy, so I'm all over the making your own baby food thing, but, seriously, it's gotta be the easiest thing you've done yet when it comes to baby stuff, and I'd do it even if I wasn't a wannabe :)

    I would pick an afternoon once a month and make stuff, throw it in the food processor, and freeze it in ice cube trays...then dump it out in the little ice cube chunks into baggies with the name of the food on the outside. They make about one ounce portions, which is just perfect for them. Then, when you start introducing the real food, you just pop them in the microwave for about 20 seconds and you're ready to go.

    I liked this site: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com. Someone gave me a book of recipes, but really I had more fun just experimenting.

    I didn't really listen to the introduce one food and then wait five days advice because 1) I'm a rebel like that and 2) I hate eating the same thing two days in a row, let alone five, so I figured Jas would get bored too. I didn't introduce fruit until he had tried just about every type of vegetable first. I figure a five-year old isn't going to refuse a strawberry because he didn't eat it until he was one, right?

    Whoa, sorry for the novel. Let me know if you need help or have any questions!

    Happy four month birthday, Miller!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rebecca! Miller is getting so big! Sorry for your scare at the doctors. She looks much different than the last time I saw her. I hope to make my own baby food too. Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second everything Sara said. I'm a wannabe hippie, too. Plus, selfishly I think jarred baby food smells weird and I didn't want to smell it when I fed it to her. www.wholesomebabyfood.com is a great resource. I also read "Feeding Baby Green" by Dr. Alan Greene and it's awesome. I also didn't wait 4 or 5 days in between new foods. Dr. Greene, and now the American Academy of Pediatrics as well, do not recommend waiting 4 days in between new foods...keep giving her new flavors as often as possible and if she doesn't like it, keep trying! Emmy's now going through a typical toddler-won't-eat-anything phase right now, but I feel fairly confident that because she's been exposed to a lot of foods she will in the long run be a good eater! Even give her things you don't like!

    ReplyDelete